Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 12: Something I Don't Leave the House Without

I was going to say 'pants,' but as I sometimes wear skirts, that answer is invalid. The two items, then, that I always make sure to have with me are chapstick and my cell phone. It has happened a few times that I chanced to be without my chapstick, and boy, did I really regret it. Never again. As for my cell phone, I seem to have an irrational dependence on it. I harbor this secret hope that someone unexpected and wonderful will send some wireless signals my way. Despite more than two solid years' evidence to the contrary, enlivened by the welcome communique of my friends, this has yet to happen. The number of exchanges I begin compared to the number of exchanges which are begun by others is an incredibly uneven ratio. I think that this eternal, baseless hope is closely related to the hope that someone unexpected and wonderful will make a red notification bubble pop up at the top of my Facebook. I frequently hear from my family and a handful of good friends, but due to what is one of my pettier feelings, they are almost never who I want to hear from. It's not that I'm dying for someone specific to shower me with attention. I'm just hoping for...someone else.

But that doesn't have anything to do with my out-and-about essentials at all.

Listening to: Gilmore Girls
Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling

1 comment:

  1. ohhhh my, how much I can empathize with the sentiments here! That's kind of scary. Because really, I could have written this exact same blog (although I admit the word "communique" would not have shown up) and it would be just as accurate.

    ReplyDelete