Monday, November 9, 2009

Party car.

So I got up at 5 AM to finish a Spanish paper that was due today. I was kind of proud of myself for finishing, since my rough draft was only a short introduction and four one-sentence paragraphs. I managed to get almost two pages. Thank you, wikipedia. I don't know why I was crazy enough to try to write about Old Hollywood film genres in a foreign language. I still don't know what film noir is called in Spanish. But I did figure out how to say dryer hose. Maybe. My translation may be incorrect. It's something like manguera de secadora.

My Spanish class is slowly dwindling in numbers. As my Institute teacher would say, the Mattress Monster got them. My early-morning Institute class is also dwindling, but I don't have that until tomorrow. That would probably make a really funny youtube video: a parody of zombie movies about a mattress monster. Yeah, this could work...

But any way. I love my history class. We're playing Oregon Trail soon. The online link the teacher gave us for those who don't have a version of the game is even to one of those ancient Apple versions where you don't use the mouse at all. Hunting is a bit tricky, though.

Math was rather uneventful, as usual. The teacher did spend most of the class talking about once and future tests. Then when there were 20 minutes left, she told us we were going to review compound interest really quick since that was what the quiz was over. I think she may have forgotten that we've never gone over compound interest since she spent the entire previous class talking about simple interest. Fortunately for me, I'm not only a quick study and good with a calculator, but I've also learned this stuff before. Thank you, high school math teacher. Most of the rest of the class was not so lucky. Our teacher has a rather unique method and lets us help each other on our quizzes and use our notes. Then, when we turn them in she looks them over and makes us fix things if they're wrong. Unfortunately, most of the class was having serious issues with this concept they'd only learned 10 minutes prior. The teacher eventually gave up and told them to take the quizzes home and bring them back Friday (no class Wednesday) since we were out of time. I knew all my answers were right; I'd triple-checked them. And yet I still had to wait in a humongous mob to turn it in and get out of there. Bleh.

My roommate and I were watching Mamma Mia! before FHE, since she'd never seen it before and now I have all the songs stuck in my head. I only know bits so they're getting all jumbled up. It's actually quite amusing.

FHE, however, was probably the highlight of my day. I don't know who comes up with these activities, but we were divided into cars and sent off to an apartment complex that it turned out didn't exist to knock on doors and see if people would answer a survey for us. The funnest part was the ride over. Somehow we wound up with seven people in a car that only had five seatbelts. You know, one of those little four-doors where everyone in the back can only buckle up if the one in the middle is the size of a ten-year-old. Although the one guy in the group wanted to get in the trunk, the driver of the car put her foot down on that one. We agreed he should ride shotgun since it would be rather awkward to have him in the back with four girls. So that left five of us to fit in the back as best we could. The first four were alright. We just squeezed and there you had it, but the fifth was a bit of a problem.We couldn't fit another pair of hips on the seat and the roof was too low to accommodate sitting on laps comfortably, so the fifth girl ended up laying acrost us.
This led to a long bout of giggling. I don't know how it started, but we were all just chatting away when the driver got a phone call. She asked us to be quiet and we really tried, but the girl laying down soon discovered that when someone laughed she could feel it. Apparently it was a humorous sensation as she got a case of the giggles, which set two more of us off when she snorted. We were laughing hysterically for ten minutes. Not even trying to think of something serious could turn it off. I love laughing like that, laughing so hard that there's no sound and my eyes start watering and all the muscles in my stomach start aching from the unexpected workout. It's rather cleansing.
There's some really awesome quote about that from The Perks of Being a Wallflower, but I can't find it. Oh well.
edit: Robb found the quote for me!
"There's nothing like the deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons." -The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Listening to: Mamma Mia!
Reading: Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

No comments:

Post a Comment