Friday, November 20, 2009

Oh, good grief!

Somehow, I got talked into going to the midnight premiere of New Moon, and let me tell you, while it was better than the first movie, it was not epic enough to merit losing all that sleep. Harry Potter? Now that's something worth losing sleep over.

Anyway, my friend (also my dad's girlfriend's daughter) arrived at the theater at the crack of noon. The scariest part is that she was probably fifty or sixty people back in line. I don't want to know how long the people at the front of the line had been there.

My dad's girlfriend and I had to rush to get to the theater in time to be in the first hundred people they let in. They let people in in groups of a hundred or so at staggered intervals. I think this was mostly in an attempt to keep the workers at the concession stands from going insane.

The line was rather interesting. There were these girls about ten people ahead of us who kept quoting stuff in unison and singing. It was actually getting kind of creepy. And then they started singing "Count Your Many Blessings." That just seemed out of place. And then they started singing "I'll Make a Man out of You" from Disney's Mulan. I think the thing that scares me the most is how much it sounded like they must have practiced it. A lot. They were all together and all knew all the words. It's an awesome song, but there's a line that should not be crossed.

Since we were in that first hundred, we got to go in around 8:30. So we sat in the theater for the next three and a half hours. My companions napped, but I'm always paranoid that I'll oversleep (like that nap I took today that made me miss my math class...) so I just tried to amuse myself in the interim. I wrote some and sketched my friend, who was sleeping next to me, but then some loud person had to make their way down the row behind us and startle her awake before I was really satisfied with the portrait. Meh. I did take a really short nap.

From the sounds of the conversations around me, it seemed like most of the people in our theater were married-with-children LDS women having a night out with their friends. It was...weird... And that movie really did not warrant eight sold-out auditoriums in that theater alone.

And then there was the movie. It wasn't that horrible, but if I could say anything to any of the characters, I would round up all of the males, look them straight in the eyes, and say, "Put your shirt back on!" Way too many shirtless guys running around. I know that's part of why a lot of people love these movies, but really! I don't care whether you have washboard abs or not, you don't need to be running around half-naked. Good gravy!

And then there was that part that I think can only be described by quoting that tour guide from London: "frolicking like fawns in the forest." ...Bahahahaha! See, moments like that are why I can't take these movies seriously. If they were any cheesier, they would be French cuisine.

Listening to: 13 Going on 30
Reading: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

No comments:

Post a Comment