Friday, January 22, 2010

Blustery.

The weather yesterday was incredible.

First, there were the torrents of rain. I wouldn't have minded so much, but I need a belt and the water soaking into my jeans wasn't helping the matter. Also, I left my tennis shoes at my dad's house, so the only shoes I have here at the dorm are a pair of heels and my ballet slippers. Some people can pull it off, but I refuse to wear heels with jeans, so the thin leather flats it was. They're still wet from yesterday.

Second, the wind! My roommate and I ventured out in search of books and food. The wind was blowing so hard it was pushing us sideways at times, and when it was to our backs we were pushed into running so we wouldn't fall over. It was quite the adventure trying to stay upright and at the same time not step in the small lakes forming in the low points in the malls (the fancy name here for the pedestrian-only streets on campus). Naturally, the places we went were all the way across campus. Then, when we finally got back to our building, we had to fight to get the door open because the mighty wind was pushing it closed. The wind was so bad, there was actually a sign on the door telling people to hold it as it closed so it wasn't slammed shut, thereby shattering the glass.

The trees were writhing so wildly it looked like Fangorn was waking up and heading for war. The behemoth palm trees whipping back and forth were the scariest.

I was half-expecting Tigger to show up, or Owl's tree to fall over.

Today was somewhat better. It was still overcast all day and the skies were pouring in the afternoon and evening, but I was done with my classes before one then had a lovely nap. From my 11th floor window, it looks like it's still coming down.

On the bright side, my new phone is awesome. It makes me feel like a secret agent.

Listening to: "When I'm Gone" by 3 Doors Down
Reading: Timeline by Michael Crichton

No comments:

Post a Comment