Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Word nerd.

After math today, a friend and I went into the college bookstore. I had every intention of just getting a notebook to make notes at church, but my friend started browsing the shelves and before long I found myself sitting on the floor in front of an entire little section of books on the English language, including Eats, Shoots & Leaves and Biting the Wax Tadpole, both of which are books I saw and read about in the Bas Bleu catalog and am actually dying to own. Well, not literally dying, but definitely pining. Instead of walking away with either of those, though, I purchased Stone the Crows: Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang. I am so excited! It covers English-language slang all the way through the 20th and 21st centuries, from all English-speaking countries. For example, "ace boon coon" came into being around 1962 and basically refers to a best friend. Groovy, no?

I did actually get a notebook, too. It's pretty awesome. It has a cool beach-with-palm-trees-and-sunset silhouette on the cover and it's an orange-red color that changes when you turn it in the light. I decided to get a two-subject notebook so I could use one part in church and use the other for my home scripture study. I was going to get two notebooks, but one just seemed so much more sensible.

Also, I'm thinking of starting a youtube channel in addition to this typed blog. My idea was to do video posts about books I've read or movies I've seen. I guess it would kind of be like reviewing them. Good idea or not? I may just do it anyway and darned to the depths with the man what thought up parley. Wait. Dang! That movie quote just does not work right there. Um, moving on.

Listening to: youtube.com/charlieissocoollike
Reading: Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory

1 comment:

  1. Ha a you tube channel would be great! I'd love to see you. not long though!!! Right?

    ReplyDelete