Friday, April 15, 2011

Wishing well.

I don't mean to turn this into a blog about my feet, but I've just gotta talk about them a teensy bit more because one of life's true pleasures is dipping your feet into a body of water. I don't care if it's an ocean, a pool, or a puddle. There's something enchanting about being only partially submerged. It's like being grounded and weightless at the same time.

Laura and I were sitting by a fountain today. I couldn't resist. I didn't completely stick my feet in, but I did have fun making tiny splashes with my toes.

To make our short visit even more stupendous, we each made a wish and threw in a penny. I love wishes! We all have so many opportunities to make them. Fountains, of course, are the standard classic. Personally, I get 11:11 wishes most frequently, but I feel like they're the worst ones to have to make. Don't get me wrong, any wish is okay by me. But wishes are a big responsibility. You can't just spend them frivolously! They're a chance to look inside yourself and say, "Okay, self. What's the one thing you truly want right now, in this instant?" Sixty seconds isn't much time to figure that out. I love birthday wishes, too. I always feel accomplished when I get all the candles in one go. However, my absolute favorite wishes would have to be eyelashes. I don't know why. Maybe it's because they're so rare. Someone else has to find your eyelash, you know, and offer you the wish. Perhaps that's why I like them: They're gifts.

Whatever kind it is, there's always a hint of magic in the air after you make a wish. The ploop of the coin hitting the water. The last digit abruptly rolling to two. The puff of smoke billowing up from the stubby candles. The dainty eyelash floating off into forever.

It's the universe saying, "As you wish."



Listening to: "Wishery" by Pogo
Reading: Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

No comments:

Post a Comment