Monday, April 11, 2011

Silver linings.

In the midst of a really crappy day, there always seems to be a bit of sunshine. Today there were a few.

First, while I was sitting in Latin this morning, there was a loud pop! and the lights went out. A second later, a similar pop! was heard from the adjoining room. Since we were in a room with healthy windows, our teacher staunchly carried on. It turns out that a good half of the campus lost power because of "a rodent that damaged equipment at a campus substation". I find that incredibly amusing.

Second, I got to take a nap outside on my bench swing.

Third, I really looked at the clouds today. I haven't done that in a very long time. I'd almost forgotten how fantastic they could be. I almost always look at the stars, but I seem to forget the clouds. Maybe this is because it's usually too bright out here to look up, but simple negligence is definitely a factor. Cloud-gazing was soothing. I couldn't decide whether I wanted to nuzzle them or pull them apart and pop them in my mouth like cotton candy.

Fourth, I discovered that a bunch of classic children's books have been translated into Latin. I spent a good twenty minutes adding many of them to my Amazon wishlist. Dr. Seuss seems to be particularly popular among the Latin crowd. Most exciting to me, though, is Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis. Um, yes please! It is my goal to collect copies of the first Harry Potter in every language that I learn. It brings me great joy that Latin is an option. Of course, things might get a bit tricky when I get around to learning Scottish Gaelic and Lakotah, but we'll deal with that later.

Listening to: Castle
Reading: Persuasion by Jane Austen

2 comments:

  1. I read the HPs all in German - and I really want copies of my own!

    Also, your last line about clouds is simply charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to find the positive! I especially like the power outage hilarity and the cloud watching :)

    ReplyDelete