Monday, February 15, 2010

19 Candles.

My friend via my roommate turned 19 today, so Roomie decided to get him candles so he could make a proper birthday wish. She wanted me to make one, too, but I think I make enough wishes on fallen eyelashes that I can afford skipping the flaming debacle for a year.

Well, since we have no oven, the best we could do for a cake subsitute was a muffin. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

We had to talk the birthday boy into participating. After much compromising, he agreed to make his wish after FHE. I wouldn't have side-tracked the story, but I just have to lament a little the fact that I coughed on a guy at FHE. It was failtacular. I turned to cough into the general direction of my elbow right as he walked up beside me to grab the hymnals off the table. My roomie says he smiled at me, but I was coughing up a lung and can't substantiate the claim. Oh, gosh.

Anywho, after FHE we dragged the unwilling wish-maker away from pairs figure skating and outside so we could deck out the muffin with nineteen flaming birthday candles. We had to do it outside because we live in a poorly-ventilated, 15-floor death trap. We took the muffin out to the dorm's backyard area. It was a bit of an ordeal getting it lit because there was a bit of a breeze, but we managed. Part of the agreement for making the birthday wish was that we wouldn't sing, so when the candles were all lit and Birthday Boy was done with his story, he simply blew them out. Or rather, spit them out. It was a say-it-don't-spray-it kind of blowing out. We were just going to leave the muffin there, but we had to take some pictures first because it was just one epic looking little muffin. After the photoshoot the birthday boy punted it across the lawn. It was pretty spectacular. The muffin blew apart and the wrapper fluttered down to the ground amid the chocolate wreckage. Hilarious!

Listening to: The Guild
Reading: East of Eden by John Steinbeck

No comments:

Post a Comment