Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What Happens When One Tries to Ship Things to Sweden

I'll get back to the challenge soon, but I just wanted to quickly share what happened today when I went to the post office.

After my friend gets home from his mission, I'm really going to miss walking up to postal workers, plunking a seemingly random assortment of dried goods and small children's toys down on the counter, and announcing, "I need to ship this to Sweden." I always get the best reactions.

Today, when I told the man behind the counter that I needed to ship a package to Sweden, he said, "On purpose?" And then he spent five minutes examining the Swedish stamps on the envelope I'd brought with the address. When I laid out everything that needed to go in the package, he went through all the Hot Wheels and tried to remember which ones he had (or at least pretended to).

He was the coolest postal worker I've ever met. He even drew a birthday cake on the front of the package for me in Sharpie and highlighter. He said he was "sprucing it up."

The entire situation was delightfully amusing. Who accidentally ships Tabasco sauce to Sweden?

Listening to: Bones
Reading: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

No comments:

Post a Comment