Sunday, April 15, 2012

Seriously Funny Phone Calls

I rarely get phone calls, but I've gotten a couple of gems over the past two days.

Yesterday afternoon, while I was talking with a couple of my friends, I casually looked at my phone because it's a compulsive habit (I'm getting better), and much to my surprise, I saw that I had missed a call from Sarahbeth. This was so unusual that I listened to her voicemail immediately instead of waiting until it wasn't rude to do so (i.e. my friends were still talking when I listened to it). All the message said was something like, "Hey, Rebekah, this is Sarahbeth. Please call me back as soon as you can." *click*

Somebody's dead, I thought. There's been a car accident. One of her brothers is in a coma. Something happened to her parents. Stay calm.

I felt my face become grave. I excused myself and walked off to make the call, hoping that it wouldn't be as bad as I feared. She picked up after only a few rings.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Sarahbeth?"

"Yeah, hi."

"You told me to call you?"

"Oh, yeah. I wanted to know if you'll be in Missouri in early August."

...Um, what? My burgeoning alarm immediately dissipated, but I'm a little embarrassed that my first thought was, Maybe she's trying to set me up with someone who'll only be in Missouri for a short amount of time. Dear Brain, Why?

"I should be. What's up?"

"Will you be one of my bridesmaids?"

"Ohmygoodness, yes!"

The moral of the story is that sometimes a serious-sounding voicemail is misleading. I went from being a little worried to so excited I couldn't stand still. Ask Shantel or Matt. I was bouncing.

I got another incongruous phone call this morning from my dad around seven.

"I know it's Saturday," he said, sounding apologetic and worried, "and you can sleep in, but I wanted to ask you something..."

Uh-oh, I thought, not yet fully awake. He sounds really serious. There must be something going on.

"...Would you like a breakfast burrito?"

Bahaha! Yes, Dad. I would love one.

Listening to: "When We First Met" by hellogoodbye
Reading: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

1 comment: