Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Spaghetti-less western.

Yesterday, I woke up around 9 to one of the most wonderful things in the world: a text from Kylie the Magnificent. She's very in-demand, so when I get a chance to hang out with her, I take it.

We spent the morning simply enjoying each other's company while she browsed Craigslist and I did German homework. We may or may not have also blasted Breaking Benjamin while she straightened my hair. I can neither confirm nor deny any such allegations.

We had lunch at Tempe Marketplace (cheesesteak for her, Chinese for me), then met Laura and Matt for a matinee of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Ever since it came out, I've been blasted from every side with the raving review that it's so much better than the first one. I can understand that, but there's also a stubborn little part of me that feels oddly protective of its predecessor. My feelings about each film start chasing each other around my head, and the end result is the only satisfying conclusion I can come to is that each would be lacking without the other. Personally, I'm just grateful to the film industry for presenting me with five solid hours of Jude Law.

Also, I'm very impressed by how easy it was for Kylie to just waltz into the theater with a bag of outside-food French fries. No one said a word.

After the movie, we frolicked. Eventually, we ended up at Cold Stone Creamery, where we were joined by Kylie's fiance, Jon.

Then, there was a parting of the ways as Kylie and Jon went off to go do responsible things like meet with student advisers while Laura, Matt, and I made our various ways over to Shantel's for an evening of tortellini, Bang!, and Silverado. The latter was because that was the first western we could find in her family's delightfully disorganized movie collection. I haven't seen so many VHS tapes in one place since Clinton was president.

The tortellini was delicious; the bread was even more so. Shantel and I, yet again, somehow wound up on the same side in Bang!. Good valiantly triumphed over evil at the end of both games we played.

The movie didn't get over until 12:30, and I stayed behind talking with Shantel until 2. I don't seem to be doing my circadian rhythm any favors. Fortunately for me, today is the day my classes don't start until noon, so I got to sleep in for a bit. Shantel, however, had to get up at 7 because her father misunderstood which time zone their insurance agent is in. Ouch.

Listening to: Pan Am
Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

No comments:

Post a Comment