Monday, November 7, 2011

Bloggiversary.

Two years. So many things in this life take only two years. An associate's degree. A term in the House of Representatives. A mission.

Two. It's such an unassuming number. It's a single digit: 2. Spelled out, it only takes three letters: T-W-O. Most of its fame comes from a type of pencil lead. That, and being the loneliest number since the number one.

And yet...

So much can happen in two years. Lives can change. They can settle into a groove. People can grow. They can stay the same. They can get together or fall apart, step up or let down, continue on or turn around.

If you're counting cookies, two is a very small number, but if you're measuring lives, it's as long as forever and as quick as a wink. It's 24 months. 104 weeks. [insert Rent song here]

Two years ago, I started a blog, inspired by a friend who is now halfway through spending two years on a religious mission in Sweden. It's like a recurring theme.

But yes, that's right. This is another post about blogging, cleverly disguised as philosophizing. Or is it philosophizing cleverly disguised as a post about blogging? Not important.

Two years ago, I wrote about pizza and football. A year ago, I was evaluating my life. Today? Well, my last post was about football, and there's been an awful lot of self-evaluation going on behind the scenes.

At a glance, not much has changed. But a life cannot be measured by glances. The gauge of a life is the long, piercing look, steady and constant and unflinching.

This blog has been filled with anecdotes, captain's logs, musings, poetry, pictures. With things said and unsaid. There have been periods of prolificacy and periods of silence, periods of exuberant joy and periods of quiet despondence.

At a glance, not much has changed. But under the gaze of that long, piercing, steady, constant, unflinching look, so very much has changed.

I could list the qualitative changes within me, but I'm not sure even I fully comprehend the most important ones. For now, it is enough to know that I have changed, that I am changing, that I will change.

It is a far, far better person that I become than I have ever been. It is a far, far greater place that I go to than I have ever known.

Here's to two more years, and two more, and two more...

Listening to: Dizzy Up The Girl by the Goo Goo Dolls
Reading: Matched by Ally Condie

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rebekah,

    I love reading your posts. They inspire me, but also amuse me. I smile while I think about them. Thank you for blogging!

    Love,
    Celery

    ReplyDelete