Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lufu.

I've taken a lot of linguistics courses over the past few semesters, and with every one, I fell in love and thought to myself, "I could dedicate my life to this." How could I have been so blind? I chose linguistics because Merriam and Webster had given me a taste of etymology, and I was hungry for more. This week we started discussing Old English in my history of English class.

As soon as I started reading the chapter in the textbook about the Anglo-Saxons and Northumbria and the Danelaw and Alfred the Great and Viking invasions, I fell in love all over again. It was like someone had struck a giant bell deep within my soul, and with each puissant knell, I could feel the echoes of history thrumming through my bones. The sounds and the cadence of their words just seem so familiar, like a song I heard once, long ago. I can almost feel these people, dead a thousand years or more, singing in my blood.

How could I have ever imagined specializing in anything else?

"[They] have bewitched me, body and soul."

Listening to: "Storm Warning" by Hunter Hayes
Reading: Harry Potter y la cámara secreta por J. K. Rowling

No comments:

Post a Comment