Saturday, October 16, 2010

Circadian.

Well, huh. This is unusual. It's before 8 AM on a Saturday and I'm up, quite willingly I might add.

Actually, I first kind of woke up around 6:15, when my weekday alarms usually start going off. Since I didn't go to bed until midnight (I was playing with my Kindle), I decided that wasn't enough sleep, so back I went to La Tierra de los Sueños. The next time I woke up, the sun was streaming through my east-facing window. The birds are singing. I can hear my Dad on the phone. Almost eight hours is much better. I briefly considered going back to sleep again, but why? I'm not really tired. I got a good amount of sleep. Why not get up?

So I did. I am. It's surreal.

Fun tidbit, since I've decided to continue with Latin for the next few years. I hope it can find its way in with my two majors. I would love it if it could. Psh! what am I talking about? I would love this information anyway. It's that whole etymology thing again. Circadian, as in circadian rhythm, comes from Latin circa, meaning around, and diem, meaning day. So, around a day.

Another interesting, and possibly useful thing to know, is that in Roman times, only men and prostitutes wore actual togas. Women wore other garments. Single women wore either a peplos or a chiton, while wives wore something called a stola. Good information to have if you ever find yourselves time travelling.

Listening to: birds singing
Reading: The Red House Mystery by A. A. Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment